Use our study skills checklist to identify study skills areas where you should improve and focus.
Learn how to develop and apply effective study habits that will help you become a highly effective student.
Discover which learning styles and preferences will enhance your study skills and improve the rate and quality of your learning.
Learn how to optimize your studying and get more accomplished with effective time management.
Study Skills Guides
Active listening, reading comprehension, notetaking, stress management, time management, testing taking, and memorization are only a few of the topics addressed in our study skills guides for students. If you'll take the time to learn and apply the study skills concepts and principles taught in our guides you'll not only improve your performance in school but also your ability to learn in general -- and that will benefit you the rest of your life! Whether you're a freshman in college looking to get ahead, a teacher seeking study skills resources for your pupils, or a high school student just trying to survive, you'll find the study skills guides, tutorials, and resource you need right below.
To get started select a category link below.
General Study Skills GuidesThe following are general study skills guides, tutorials and articles for students, parents and teachers that offer proven tips and strategies for improving study skills habits, effectiveness and learning ability. Topics covered include time management, learning style, note taking, reading, math, vocabulary, writing, and listening, among others.
- Study Skills Checklist
- Discover Your Learning Style
- 10 Habits of Highly Successful Students
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- The Cornell System for Taking Notes
- Improving Your Note Taking
- Improving Your Memory
- Effective Listening Skills
- Using Effective Time Management To Optimize Your Studying
- Coping With Test Anxiety
- Finding a Good Study Location
- Using Studying Groups
- Strategies for Reading Textbooks
- SQ3R Strategy for Reading Textbooks
- A Guide for Studying Math
- Solving Math Word Problems
- Vocabulary Building Strategies
- Basics of Writing An Essay
- Writing Research Papers
- Setting and Achieving Goals
- The Forgetting Curve
- The Study Cycle
- The Learning Pyramid Explored
Test Taking GuidesTest taking is a skill in and of itself. Even some of the brightest students struggle when it comes to test taking. Learning how to take tests is an important aspect of educational performance, development and progression. Below we'll explore both general and specific tips and strategies for taking and enhancing performance on various types of tests, including short answer, multiple choice, essay, oral, openbook, and standardized.
- Test Preparation Tips
- Simple Strategies for Improving Test Performance
- Test Taking Strategies
- Short Answer Tests
- Taking Essay Tests
- Multiple Choice Test Taking Tips
- True/False Tests
- Quantitative and Math Test Preparation Strategies
- Openbook Tests
- Oral Test Taking
- ACT Test Taking Strategies
- SAT Test Taking Tips and Techniques
- Top 5 GMAT Study Tips
- LSAT Strategies
- How To Study for the MCAT
- Test Taking Strategies for Nursing Students
- NCLEX Test Preparation Guide
Study Skills Resources by SubjectUnderstanding general, yet proven, strategies for studying and test taking is the first step to becoming an effective learner and student. However, each subject you study is unique and requires a slightly different learning approach. For example, learning how to do calculus is very different than studying American heritage. While both subjects require good study habits, effective listening, and reading comprehension skills, each requires a different approach to learning. Below we'll explore specific study skills and strategies as they relate to performance within individual subject areas.
Write for Us